Sunday, October 7, 2012

About Me...

I'm 38 years old and I've just started graduate school for speech-language pathology.  I found out about my love for SLP in a very roundabout way.

I started off at college, way back in 1992 as a pre-med major and ended up changing my major 6 times before dropping out of school.  I dropped out with a 2.2 gpa and no idea what I wanted to do with my life.  I finally returned to (a different) school, still with no idea what I wanted to do with my life but decided that I needed to graduate from college.  I ended up graduating with a history degree and maintained over a 3.5 every semester which brought my overall gpa up to a 2.74.  Not great, but I graduated.

My degree allowed me to join the Peace Corps twice (Morocco and Tanzania) as well as allowed me to teach English in South Korea for 5 years and travel to other countries during holidays.  It was in my final year in South Korea that I decided that I needed to return to school to find a career.  A friend suggested that I look into SLP, I researched it and I was hooked.  I returned to school Feb. of 2010 and was enrolled at Utah State University's online 2nd bachelor's in communicative disorders and deaf education for that following Fall.  I. Loved. It.  I knew I had finally found the perfect fit.

I ended up kicking ass at USU and graduated with a 3.94 gpa.  I knew I had to really focus at USU because I had an undergrad gpa that would be looked down on by grad schools.  I applied to 3 schools, was rejected from 2 and was accepted to one.  All it takes is one.  :)

So here I am at Eastern Michigan University and I don't think I could have picked a better fit for me.

2 comments:

  1. I like your story. All it takes is one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow your story is so inspiring & very similar to my life.

    ReplyDelete